Saturday, December 20, 2008

BLESSED!

Garret's Stitches
driver's side

passenger's side



straight on


Well, this post is not a fun post to write about. Coming home from piano lessons Thursday night the kids and I were in a car accident. We were driving down the road heading home when a truck went through a stop sign. There was no way for me to stop in time with the ice and snow. We hit the truck straight on. When we finally stopped we had totally turned around. Kids were crying and in shock. Luckily, everyone was in their seatbelts and carseats. I jumped out and tried to assess what was going on. It was all very surreal. Garret, Katelyn, and I received the worst of the injuries. I had let Garret move to the front with his booster seat when we left piano lessons because it was such a short way home. (Stupid, I know.) So thankfully, the airbags did not deploy or else we would have had much more serious injuries. Garret cut open his chin. Katelyn has some whiplash. I have a sore and bruised knee from hitting the dashboard. Blakely kept her cool so well. She did so well trying to get Brady to calm down and to keep him calm. I had not brought my cell phone with me. So, I first sent her to the nearest house to call 911. The other driver was slow to get out. He was hurt also. The house happened to be a gal in the other ward. She was the first angel. Next, two ladies from the other ward bringing scouts home came right by and jumped right out to help. They helped me calm and cover up Garret. They let me borrow their cell phone to call Shawn and tell him to come. The first responder was also from our ward. He helped us assess everything. We then took all the kids into the house to stay warm. We got through the ordeal with lots of help from these wonderful people. After we had been looked at by the paramedics, I decided to send Shawn into the hospital with Garret. The rest of the kids and I came home. Katelyn was quite weepy and teary all night. We did take her into our doctor the next morning to get her checked out. She is doing fine and seems to be okay and then she starts to feel the soreness in her neck. It kinds of goes in cycles. Garret has been quite sober but is starting to get back to his normal self. We have been blessed by the concern of the members in our ward. We don't know the outcome of our vehicle yet. It sure looks totaled, but we will see. We are all bumped and bruised up, but doing fine. It is quite a thing when an accident happens. It really makes you stop and think.

3 comments:

Joel's Family said...

O MY GOSH!!! I am so glad that everyone is o.k. execept for minor things. It could have been so much worse. Someone was looking over you. Hopefully Katelyn will get better soon. I would say it looks like your car is totalled, but then again, you are dealing with insurance company. Glad everyone is o.k. This crazy weather is not good.

Brandi said...

Wow, Becky!!! I had no idea this happened. I'm so so glad that everyone is okay. What a scary thing to have happen and thankfully it was not much worse. I hope everyone gets to feeling better soon. We miss you guys and wish the best of recovery. Give the kids hugs and kisses from me.

Peterson Pack of Wild Dogs said...

Oh my word Becky. I am so glad that things turned out the way they did. A few stitches is so much better than the other alternative! I am so glad you had everyone buckled! You can never be too safe. What are your plans for a new car? I hope everyone is feeling better now. We'll be anxious to get hugs from everyone soon!