Monday, July 25, 2011

Pioneer Trek







Well, we have been preparing for this trek all summer long. Every morning we would be up walking with the YW at 7am. Linda Wayment and I were in charge of the food for 70 people, so we have been planning and buying the food. We have sewn skirts and bonnets. We had buckets to put all our stuff in. Well, the day finally came to see if we had prepared enough to endure this trek. (After spending all day Monday getting the food together and handed out; I was ready to call it quits when I walked in the door at 9:30pm.) We headed to the church to meet up and head to Iowa City. Which actually was a place called Worthington Springs. We arrived about 45 minutes later and learned of our families. We gathered with our families. Shawn and I were the aunt and uncle in our group. We were given the rules to follow from the trail bosses and a jar of whipped cream to shake as we walked and away we went. The first day was going to be straight up about 3 1/2 miles. I was so glad to have strong young men with us to pull until the women's' pull. The men were taken away to go fight in the Mormon Battalion and the women were left to pull of the steepest part of the mountain. I pulled with everything I had and more. The angels did come and help, but as my husband said, "They had to run to catch up with those ladies." As we got to the top I tried very hard to catch my breath, but oh my chest hurt all day long. We made camp early, which would be a trend everyday. The youth pushed hard everyday all day long. We set up camp and I was glad I could set my cot next to Shawn's. We had a historian of the area come up and tell us tall tales. We also have a wonderful fireside; " Remember the Journey" by Jenny Phillps. 2nd day we broke camp and followed the Emigrant trail down Granite Pass. My nickname for my family became the "Extreme Hand carters." They wanted to jump every bump, rock, and wash out. We stopped midway because we were moving too fast. The men and some girls did the stick pull. My husband rocked, of course. We then had hardships placed upon the families. Our family tried to outrun the YM president, but he caught us. Just for that we were given two hardships. Guess I shouldn't have told them to run.... We carried everyone on the handcart at sometime. We were at the last and we were slow down to keep our family together, but as soon as we were back together we would run to catch up with the group. After 8 1/2 miles we saw the sights of City of Rocks. My foot was killing me and I didn't know if I could do another 12 miles on it. We soaked our feet and set up camp again. We had a wonderful dinner and another wonderful fireside. 3rd day: We cleaned up camp and switched order of the carts, we were put first; they wanted to slow us down, not likely. We hiked along the path that the pioneers traveled to California. It would be so hot and you would think that we could not handle anymore heat when the clouds were roll into cover up the sun and the breeze would blow in. Just a little reprieve. We arrived at our first campsite and started to unload when some guys showed up and kicked us off the property. Well, sure enough we had to load back up and head another 3 miles to our last campsite. We arrived running not wanting the other families to beat us into camp. We were able to stay and the wonderful Almo City Park. Running water and shade. Hallelujah! Water fights came sure enough all night long until the YM leaders slept between the girls and boys. The next morning we enjoyed family time and alone time before we went swimming at the hot springs. We headed down the mountain back to the church. I was ready to go home, but remembered all the food we had to unload from the trailers. Not so much fun being the leader, now. What a great experience we had. I wish I could say we got to walk with Blakely, but she was with her trek family; right where she should be. I can now check trek off my bucket list.

No comments: